Exceptional 19th Century Lady’s Travelling Dressing Case by Leuchars of London
1 in stock
Height 7 1/2 inches (19 cm)
Width 15 inches (38 cm)
Depth 8 1/2 inches (22 cm)
An exceptional late nineteenth century ladies travelling dressing case by Leuchars of LondonThe brass-bound figured coromandel wood case, retaining its original leather and suede lined travelling cover, opens to reveal an arrangement of thirteen silver gilt and gold monogrammed cut glass containers, under a fold down purple silk velvet and morocco lined writing compartment. The case has three secret drawers with hidden mechanisms, and two slide out trays fitted with every conceivable accoutrement that a lady travelling in the late Victorian age would need, all silver gilt, polished steel and ivory.The case is in almost mint condition, and appears to have never been used.
Engraved lock plate, W Leuchars maker, 38 Piccadilly London.
Leuchars was established at 47 Piccadilly, London in 1794 by James Leuchars, and in 1820 the business moved to 38 Piccadilly. Lucy Leuchars, James’s widow continued the business under the name of L Leuchars. In 1837, the same year as Queen Victoria came to the throne, the firm was awarded the Royal Warrant for their supply of dressing cases to the royal family.
In 1870, under the name of Leuchars & Son, William Leuchars along with his son, also called William, opened a further shop at 2 Rue de la Paix Paris. When William Snr died in 1871, the business was continued on by William Jr, and it was under his control that they won a gold medal for their dressing cases at the 1878 Paris Exposition.
William Jr finally agreed to sell the business to Asprey in 1888. Leuchars continued to trade from their 38 & 39 Piccadilly address until 1902.
This remarkable travelling case, was made by William Leuchars as a gift on the occasion of his daughter Mildred’s 21st birthday, and has remained in the family ever since.
The silver hallmarked for 1865